Monday, June 21, 2010



Once we left Denver, we encountered Adventures (pretty exciting for a mostly stay-at-home person like me). First was Glenwood Springs, CO, a town Warren (my husband) fell in love with many years ago and couldn't wait to introduce me to.

At the right is me when we first arrived. (The top photo is "After" one day there.) I'm gamely smiling but actually very grumpy inside. I couldn’t see the point: after traveling for miles, getting into a bathing suit on a chilly breezy day and sprinting for the pool. But soon I was a convert. There are two large pools, each fed by hot springs that have all kinds of healing properties. Once you're in the water, you feel like you're in a fairy tale because anywhere you look, there are mountains (which surround the town), beautiful foliage, gorgeous colors...

Inside the water it's fairy-tale-like as well. The pools are divided into areas that are sort of hot, not really hot, more hot, really hot, etc. There’s a cooler area where you can do laps. But you can swim anywhere...or do anything you want.

It reminded me of a movie—Last Year at Marienbad comes to mind, people dotting the water in every conceivable pose...Head against the tiled walls, feet sticking out of the water...engrossed in a book one arm is holding aloft (that was me)...giggling under the splashing faucets...really, everyone just wafting around blissfully.

And then there are all the conversations.

Glenwood Springs seems to attract the most fascinating people; I fell into one great conversation after the other. For a whole afternoon, I talked to a couple who ran a Wellness Spa called Reversaging in Breckenridge. The next day, we had a completely fascinating conversation with a couple from Denver, both psychic healers. The man who had just lost his job and had come to get perspective. A long conversation with the Glenwood Springs librarian who visits the pools every day.

Warren really wants to settle in Glenwood Springs but I think we will VISIT there a lot. The jury is still out on where we’re going to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment